Crest

Earth is lost, and the ravaged colonies in the far reaches of space struggle to survive. We stand atop the Crest of the future.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

IMN Broadcast of the UOR Shooting Criminal Trials

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
A.D.R.

PostSubject: IMN Broadcast of the UOR Shooting Criminal Trials   Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:07 pm

Today was the first day of the joint criminal trials of the following:

Professor Jeck Hawkins, Chairman of Genetics Committee of ADRA, Professor Emeritus of UOR, citizen of ADR for 53 years. Charged with conspiracy to commit murder, aiding and abetting a criminal act, conspiracy with an organized act of terrorism, and unlawful affiliation with a legally suppressed terrorist group, unauthorized access and tampering with a federally protected security system.

'Khastin,' Eos, member of the "Eosene Initiative" movement, subject of the ADR for 23 years. Charged with murder, assault, attempted murder, in addition to all of the charges of the subject above.

The trial has passed the first phase - a jury of twenty-four, drawn at random from registered citizens of the ADR. Within five hours of hearing and deliberation, a sweeping majority of twenty convicted Professor Jeck Hawkins guilty, and twenty-three convicted 'Khastin' guilty. They were both sentenced to continue to a criminal hearing with both the Demarchy and Senate to determine their sentencing. Hawkins continues with a sentence suggested by the jury of life in prison, while capital punishment was suggested for 'Khastin.' Legal deliberations will continue tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A.D.R.

PostSubject: The Trials of Jeck Hawkins and 'Khastin'   Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:53 pm

The ADR Senate and Demarchy trials of the two criminals charged with crimes in relation to the UOR shooting have completed their trials and are awaiting sentencing, announced an ADR press release directly from the offices of the Senate.

Jeck Hawkins plead no contest, stating that his actions to instigate the attack were negligible and that he did not intend for any harm to come to anyone, human or Eos. He expressed remorse at the deaths, injuries, and suffering of those present at the UOR and their families, but insisted that his role in the shooting did not warrant capital punishment and was not done with the intention of causing death or bodily injury. According to Hawkins' story, he had arranged for an override of the UOR security systems under duress because of a threat that he had received from members of the Eosene underground movement.

'Khastin,' a self-proclaimed "freedom fighter for the Eosa," denied Hawkins' claims and stated that Hawkins had manipulated members of the movement under the guise of offering support. Hawkins promised the Eosa a chance to speak from the opposite perspective according to Khastin, but it was really just a ruse to "paint them to look like terrorists" and cause more public unrest concerning the issue of Eosene rights.

Evidence so far seems to be in greater support of Khastin's claims, despite the ADRA Genetics Committee backing Jeck Hawkins and providing records of deliberately threatening communications from Eosa activists. Khastin's attorneys have provided evidence that his story is true, and furthermore there is little evidence of any intent to cause physical harm.

The Court of the Demarchy suggested a punishment of life in prison for Hawkins, while the Senate suggested execution. However, both courts have suggested punishments of life in prison with the possibility of parole for Khastin.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Novalyse

PostSubject: Re: IMN Broadcast of the UOR Shooting Criminal Trials   Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:06 pm

A private message arrived at the ADR shortly following the information regarding the trials of Hawkins and Khastin.

"ADR Officials and Senate,

Thank you for your gracious assistance in transporting Overseer Alexander Chase safely back to Novalyse. Chase has insisted that all balances for his medical care be forwarded to his office so that he may repay them when he has fully recovered.

In response to news of the trials of Jeck Hawkins and the Eos known as Khastin I would strongly implore that if the accused Hawkins is found guilty of crimes against the ADR as well as all nations present that he be sentenced with the most appropriate punishment. If he has indeed instigated the crimes in question and does not receive appropriate punishment note that Novalyse will petition for a trial to ensure he is no longer a threat to the safety of foreign officials entering the ADR.

The people of Novalyse have strongly voiced their opinions regarding the rights of the race known as the Eosa. Novalyse hereby issues its statement regarding the issue: Any non-human or partial human race to have shown violent tendencies such as those seen in the UOR shooting should not be incorporated into a society without due precautions. Thusly, the Eosa should receive no eligibility for full or partial human rights as their violent behavior would be detrimental to intergalactic society as a whole.

Addison Grey"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A.D.R.

PostSubject: Re: IMN Broadcast of the UOR Shooting Criminal Trials   Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:16 pm

Kenji Wright overlooked Addison Grey's statement from his office. He sighed heavily, running his hand through his stringy black hair, and called Clarity in.

"We've got to off the guy," Wright sighed in exasperation.

"You know that's not what the people want. And that's not how things should be done here -"

"Clarity, of course I know that, but - goddamn, one guy's life for the lives of many? For the lives of our innocent people? I don't know whether the man is guilty or not, but frankly, even if he was Model Citizen Number One we're backed into a corner here. And there's a good chance he did it."

"That's hardly a 'just and righteous court of law,' Kenji."

The aging Asian man cupped his forehead in his hand. He looked tired. "Let's just end this, please, Clarity. Send an order through to the Courts that the Senate approves and recommends an execution -"

"I'll not have a part in it. Send the order yourself, then." With that, Clarity abruptly turned and left Wright's office. He cursed under his breath, but sent the order through regardless. Within a matter of minutes, the news of the approval was buzzing around the media in a growing storm of controversy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A.D.R.

PostSubject: Re: IMN Broadcast of the UOR Shooting Criminal Trials   Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:47 am

The criminal hearing of the Demarchy regarding Professor Jeck Hawkins and the Eos 'Khastin' has continued through Demarchy. The current Demarchy, consisting of fifty civilian representatives randomly chosen for the term throughout the colony of ADR, deliberated on both trials.

Professor Jeck Hawkins was found by only a slight majority to be guilty on all charges except one, in a count of twenty-eight with three remaining neutral. He was found to be innocent on the charge of unlawful affiliation with a legally suppressed terrorist group due to a minor legal discrepancy in which the activities led by the particular group of Eosa were not known and recognized to the government, and therefore could not be considered a terrorist group de facto. His defense immediately countered and appealed the other charges on the grounds that he was found innocent of affiliation, and therefore could not be convicted of other charges reliant on the assumption of criminal affiliation; the Demarchy initially declined the appeal but was thereafter obligated by an order from the Senate to re-order the previously stated charges. As such, Professor Jeck Hawkins' trial currently remains in limbo.

'Khastin' was found guilty on all counts by a majority of the Demarchy. His defense was crushed by overwhelming evidence, and he continues to the Senate trial with a suggested punishment of death.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
O.M.N.E Corporation

PostSubject: Re: IMN Broadcast of the UOR Shooting Criminal Trials   Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:24 am

Richard straightened his tie and looked at his assistant "Whats our position on this ADR scientist again?"

His assistant said in a monotone voice "We disapprove of the appeal on his trial."

Richard nodded "Right, thank you very much. Lets get this over with."

The data net press release started with Richard sitting at his desk, very neat and in a clean cut, incredibly expensive suit. "I'll get straight to the point, as this is not an issue whose severity can be hidden behind fancy words or sugar coated to seem less offensive to the populous of crest. The A.D.R scientist Jeck Hawkins, who is affiliated with the shooting on Rescenta which  killed innocent people, put O.M.N.E employees at risk, and a Novalysian official in the hospital, has had an appeal. Leaving his trial and judgement in a sort of limbo, at least for the time being."

He sighed slightly gathering his thought and sitting up a bit straight before continuing.

"O.M.N.E, and myself personally, are disappointed that this has happened. I will not make demands of the A.D.R, but i will simply state the position of O.M.N.E, we believe this man should be punished to the full extent of the law and not be appealed for by the A.D.R senate. It is unbecoming of a governing organization to appeal for a criminal. That is all, thank you for watching."

The data steam ended and the O.M.N.E logo spun on the screen for a few seconds with silver words along the bottom of the screen reading "O.M.N.E Corporation, making the future, the present."

The people of O.M.N.E station agreed completely and were flooding data net with posts and data-vlogs about how wrong this was, the opinions would more than likely begin to spread to the independent colonies and stations OMNE had sway over. With one word, OMNE had more than likely sparked wide spread debate on data net about the trial in the A.D.R
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A.D.R.

PostSubject: Re: IMN Broadcast of the UOR Shooting Criminal Trials   Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:01 am

Kenji Wright watched tensely, although he had suspected this would happen. He was playing with fire when he was so used to playing it safe instead. Regardless, the confusion of the Senate's controversial decision would muck up the waters enough that it might conceal what was really going on behind the scenes. Wright was juggling the interests of several different parties here, trying to do what he must in order to enact justice and keep everything going smoothly in the future. He made no response, but instead let the media thrash around as they were bound to do anyway, and continued working on what was necessary to see the trials through.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cascadia

PostSubject: Re: IMN Broadcast of the UOR Shooting Criminal Trials   Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:12 am

The Sigil of the Cascadia territory would be broadcast, there was no visible representative just the Symbol of the Cascadian Council 2 stylized C's flowing into one another:: This is in response to the gross negligence on behalf of the legal system and the Governing body of the ADR.Professor Jeck Hawkins has been cleared of one of the major charges, by a simple wording oversight. Due to this an appeal was filed, and the court rightly denied it.The Senate then forced the appeal to be carried. We find this action to state loud and clear the intentions of the ADR's government. We do not condone the senate or ANY governing body hijacking legal proceedings to either hide blame or clear members of some special group. Untill further notice the Cascadian territories are ceasing all trade agreements with the ADR and its affiliates, all currently enroute trade ships both cascadian and ADR and 3rd party have been contacted and told to return to their departure point. The shooting at the UOR was a serious act and not a game and treating it as some politcal stage is abhorent. Based on this actions the Cascadian Council has officially decided that once Professor Hawkins trial has been completed depending on the outcome we will request his transfer to Cascadian authority for trial for his attachment to a terrorist attack against a Cascadian Council official, namely Head Council Ashara Cyralis.
:: with that the message would abruptly end
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A.D.R.

PostSubject: Re: IMN Broadcast of the UOR Shooting Criminal Trials   Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:42 am

"Oh, goddamn. They didn't get it, did they?" He tapped a button on his DataPad. "Clarity!" No answer. "Clarity, get in here!" Still no answer. Little did he know that she was busy instituting Senate ordinances on flight control policies without his knowledge. Regardless, he rubbed his hand across the top of his head and sighed heavily as he thought of the next move to make.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Novalyse

PostSubject: Re: IMN Broadcast of the UOR Shooting Criminal Trials   Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:16 pm

Serah watched the trials of Jeck and Khastin closely. She knew that without interference the ADR was going to execute the wrong criminal for what happened that day. She knew herself that the systems were shut down, as she had to hack into their security to reboot them and let the other guards into the building. She frowned as she rose from her desk and called the only person she knew who could get enough publicity to affect the courts decision.

"Hello, this is Jessica Ryant from NCN, how may I help you?"

"Ryant, this is Serah Lawson head of capitals Department of Research. Get down to the capital wall, I have something you won't want to miss."

"Details Ms. Lawson, I can't make a story on a whim."

"I'm making a statement regarding the trials of Jeck and Khastin and I need you to publicize it. Trust me, it will be worth your time to come out."

"Alright Ms. Lawson, I'm on my way now. In the mean time, could you tell me what is so interesting about your statement?"

"The complete disregard for the statement issued by Addison Grey regarding the rights of the Eosa."

The camera opened on Ryant standing before the luminescent blue glow of the Skyre, the tall building surpassing the view of the frame reaching farther into the sky than any others in the city.

"This is Jessica Ryant reporting from Skyre Capital Wall where NCN has been granted exclusive rights to broadcast the head of the Department of Research Serah Lawson's statement regarding the trials of Jeck Hawkins and the Eosa name Khastin. I understand you were present at the time of the attack Ms. Lawson, if you would explain what happened within that conference room."

The camera split into a duel view with Serah standing before the wall dressed in a white sleeved blouse over a plain black pleated skirt. The other side showed Ryant waiting expectantly for a response.

"I'd prefer not to talk about the events that occurred inside as the shooting took place. Please if you could limit your questions until after I've made my statement."

"Yes. Ms. Lawson, I understand it must have been traumatizing for you to experience a shooting of that scale."

"Yes, that aside for now I'd like to make a statement regarding the recent events in the trial if Jeck Hawkins and the Eos named Khastin. It is apparent that the Eosa involved were promised entrance into the conference with the Assembly representatives. After that access was denied did they begin causing problems in the university lobby. Jeck Hawkins has been shown shutting down the UOR security system just prior to this attack. He has been proven, thus far, to be guilty of all charges except for one which was ruled out due to fine print. He deliberately promised the activists, whom he knew were radical enough that if what he promised wasn't granted them would turn to violence, access into the Assembly meeting.

Regardless of the statements issued in Overseer Chase's absence, the Novalysian Department of Research is in full support of Eosene rights and believe that the assailant Khastin is being punished too harshly for the crimes he has committed. Jeck Hawkins used the Eosa to successfully sway the opinions of the representatives in favor of his biased ideals. If Jeck Hawkins' trial has been reissued the Department of Research urges that Khastin's trial also be done over with exemption of the death penalty. Justice is not served by charging the accomplice to a crime more harshly than the person who conspired it. The guilt falls upon Jeck Hawkins who purposefully lied to the Eosa to induce this reaction when they were denied access to the Assembly."

"You are apposed to the death penalty for the man who shot Overseer Chase?"

"Yes. I am not denying his guilt in the matter as well however, his actions were caused by Hawkins'. If Hawkins had not instigated the entire affair I may have felt differently about Khastin but he is only the accomplice to the greater crime against the colonies."

"Thank you Ms. Lawson. Please stay toned to NCN to receive more information regarding the trials of Jeck Hawkins and the Eosa Khastin."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A.D.R.

PostSubject: Re: IMN Broadcast of the UOR Shooting Criminal Trials   Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:06 pm

The Senate wasn't quite expecting that response, especially from Novalyse - letalone one of the dignitaries who was present at the shooting. Wright had just finished making a phone call to General North, who was attempting to contact the covert ops officer handling the Cascadian investigation of the shooting, when he saw Lawson's press release.

"Sweet shit. I can't wait to retire," he mumbled as he wearily crossed his arms down on his desk. Lines of worry and stress were apparent across his face while he reviewed everything that had happened. Again, he decided not to make a formal statement, fearing for a political backlash if he made the appearance of allowing any personal bias. Instead, he delegated a Senatorial judicial advisor, Clark Delamere, to comment on the legalities of the case through the IMN.

"Please be advised that we are carrying out the joint trials as efficiently as possible with the utmost priority being the justice of the tragedy at the University of Rescenta," said a thin, intellectual-looking man behind a pair of thick glasses. "The Senate made the decision to recall and repeat the trial based on the finding that one of the charges was not applicable. Therefore, the other charges reliant on it must be re-evaluated and assessed, as is dictated by judicial law and the right to a fair and just trial. The Senate did not allow for an appeal of the entire case which was requested by Jeck's defense, but instead made the most appropriate action that could be considered. An appeal of the case would have brought the entire case back to the initial public jury which could have allowed for a possible "innocent" verdict or a lesser suggestion of penalty; a reassessment allows the trial to continue with the same suggested penalties and only requires a repeat of the Demarchy trial and sentencing. It is our belief that repeating the trial at the Demarchy level will allow for the most thorough inspection of every statement and piece of evidence before continuing at the Senate level, where both subjects will receive their final sentencing. At this point, we have decided to withhold the trial of 'Khastin' in light of the events of Jeck Hawkins' trial so we may assure that both subjects receive punishments which are accurate in correlation. We feel that it would be unfair to convict one involved subject before the other, under the premise that one's trial may reveal information valuable to the others' sentencing. As such, we have expedited the trial of Jeck Hawkins to complete conviction at the Demarchy level before proceeding with Khastin's trial to the Senate level, when both trials will continue concurrently. Please allow me to clarify: due to the temporary delay to ensure accuracy in Hawkins' trial, we are re-scheduling both trials to continue in syncronicity so that the convictions and sentences are as fair and just as possible. We have no intentions of punishing one subject more harshly than called for by their actions, nor will we allow the process of justice to be skewed by minor legal discrepancies.

"We appreciate the concern of the public, but please know that we are thoroughly aware of the issues presented by such a prolific case and we have every intention of carrying out every step of the trials with the utmost care. On behalf of the Senate of the Allied Demarchy of Reza, I would like to encourage all who are concerned to consider this simply a delay in the process of justice and not an attempt to overthrow or dismiss any of the actions attributed to either subject. There has been absolutely no revocation of guilt, and I assure you that both the Demarchy and the Senate are working ardently towards justice in the best interests of all who were affected by this tragic crime."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cascadia

PostSubject: Re: IMN Broadcast of the UOR Shooting Criminal Trials   Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:36 pm

::a message would be sent out as before:: The Cascadian Council thanks you for this elaboration. With this full knowledge we can not agree more with the decesion to re-try Jeck Hawkins at the demarchy level. Trade has been reinstated
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A.D.R.

PostSubject: Re: IMN Broadcast of the UOR Shooting Criminal Trials   Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:34 am

The next day of trials continued without much more advancement in the sentencing. Both Hawkins and 'Khastin' seemed to be sticking to their story. Media coverage of the trials continued, with more legal officials and media spokespeople throughout ADR chipping in with their opinions over the DataNet. No new evidence was released, but the faces of Hawkins and Khastin were now a common sight on news networks and court shows throughout the sector.

Professor Jeck Hawkins, teaching in the genetics lab at the UOR
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Strike

PostSubject: Re: IMN Broadcast of the UOR Shooting Criminal Trials   Sun May 17, 2015 2:09 pm

(ADR)

The conviction of Hawkins has been upheld at the Demarchy level, with a suggested sentence of life in prison. The trials are currently underway at the Senate level, and ADR's Senatorial prosecutors seem to be strongly pushing for the death penalty. The trial of the Eos Khastin has also begun concurrently, with the Senate backing down slightly and begrudgingly acknowledging the evidence that the Eosene Initiative members were "baited" into their actions, with a great amount of urging from the media as well as ADR's Demarchy representatives.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Strike

PostSubject: Re: IMN Broadcast of the UOR Shooting Criminal Trials   Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:11 pm

(ADR)

IMN had been playing out every excruciating detail of the trials for months now, with their popularity waning and waxing according to how controversial the public thought each piece of evidence, each witness statement, or each lawyer's speech was. Independent polls raged back and forth about what should be done, and representatives of every government or institution that had much of anything to do with the issue in question were spouting off their perfectly manicured opinions about what should happen to Hawkins and Khastin.

The trials went through with the smooth precision of a well-oiled machine. Everyone had their eyes on this, and the powers-that-be made sure there were no more hiccups. With some slight influence from the Senate, a sentence was reached that seemed to meet in the middle grounds. For his own part, Kenji Wright hoped it would make everyone happy. Clarity Davis guessed that it probably wouldn't.

"Breaking news! The sentences of Professor Jeck Hawkins and Khastin have both been released to the media for the first time. In an official statement from the joint council of courts, Professor Jeck Hawkins has received a sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole. Khastin has received a sentence of life in institutional supervision without the possibility of release. Details are pending! Stay tuned!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IMN Broadcast of the UOR Shooting Criminal Trials   

Back to top Go down

IMN Broadcast of the UOR Shooting Criminal Trials
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1